Monday, July 29, 2013

Two small tricks exporting CAD model from Zemax

I have a sequential Zemax model with multiple prisms and coordinate breaks. When exporting CAD model for mechanical engineering use, the exporting process could not go correctly. After a couple of days of trying, the exporting was finally successful. The tricks I got are below:

1. Setting the tolerance level higher is the key for small prisms.
I found out that if the prism's size is smaller than 10 mm, this tolerance value needs be reduced.

2. If Zemax still fails to export correctly, try adjusting the thickness to a slightly smaller value. Sometimes the prism's front surface cannot reach the back surface because of a rounded thickness value and this will cause error when Zemax tries to combine the two surfaces to form a solid.
Above is an example of a 30o apex angle prism, I had to reduce the thickness from 1.73205 to 1.732 for a proper export.

1 comment:

Sergey said...

Thanks for this information. It was very helpful for me. I tried to export multi configuration system and had failure. I thought that problem is in multiconfiguration. But reason was in accuracy of the lenses thicknesses.